An exclusive design produced just for us by a traditional maker in the Channel Islands, we think this is the definitive fisherman's garment.
And now it's even better. For this 2nd edition we've improved our most popular sweater with a little bit more body and sleeve length... not too much! Just enough.
This is a traditional Gansey but with the more contemporary crew-neck style. Our Gansey is in traditional deep navy with our own signature orange detailing, and our own shoulder patterning.
Knitted from 100% Pure British Wool, spun and oiled to the particular specifications required to achieve the unique feel and performance of the traditional Guernsey/Gansey garment.
The factory combines traditional techniques and skills with historic textured patterns and style details, as well as modern equipment for a consistently high quality product. Sewn together with traditional Channel Island skills.
Only available from Blackshore Coastal Clothing!
Sizing indicates circumference of the sweater. For example a size 42" is 21" across from armpit to armpit (42" total circumference).
So if you have a 40" chest the size 40" will be pretty snug on you! 42" will generally be right for you... or if you want a roomier fit go up to next size.
MEASURING FOR THE BEST FIT:
- Measure the person while standing with their arm resting by their side.
- Measure all the way around the chest, with no finger gap behind the tape measure. If you have an even number add 4", and if it's an odd number add 3" (e.g. a 38 inch chest measurement requires a 42" Gansey). This number is your Gansey size.To check the length, measure from the middle of the shoulder to the point you want the garment to finish (normally the middle of the buttock).
- To check the sleeve, measure from the middle of the neck, over the shoulder tip and down to the elbow - and then on to the point you want the cuff to finish at your wrist or hand.
- Note: our Gansey is made from completely natural fibres and as such there can be a slight variation in size (plus or minus 0.5 of an inch or 1.5 cms)
- Chest 38": body length 28", sleeve length 21" (plus turnup cuff)
- Chest 40": body length 28", sleeve length 21" (plus turnup cuff)
- Chest 42": body length 29", sleeve length 23" (plus turnup cuff)
- Chest 44": body length 29", sleeve length 23" (plus turnup cuff)
- Chest 46": body length 29", sleeve length 23" (plus turnup cuff)
- Chest 48": body length 31", sleeve length 24" (plus turnup cuff)
- Chest 50": body length 31", sleeve length 24" (plus turnup cuff)